Friday 25 July 2014

Commonwealth Games, a gubbed ankle and a new bike

Sooooooo much to update everyone on, but sooooooo little desire to type it. I’ll sum up the 3 main things in my life at the minute!

The Commonwealth Games have arrived to Glasgow and so far I have seen ZERO events in person. House viewings and a hospital visit (gubbed ankle) have scuppered my plans. Hopefully tomorrow (Saturday) I will get to go to Strathclyde Park and watch the Triathlon and then the Marathon on Sunday morning.

As mentioned above, I've gubbed my ankle. A silly run up and down Ben Lomond (for more info on Ben Lomond see HERE) meant I tore my ligaments and ended up in crutches. We actually thought it was a broken ankle; there was a rather large CRACK when I went over on it and it started swelling up immediately (I aint lying - my brother started squirting water from his water bottle onto my ankle as if this was going to stop the swelling, bless, think I need more than water bro, this is not a “magic sponge at a football match” type situation). A week later and I can walk fine now, but ankle is still in a lot of pain and bruised. Dr advised absolutely NO running for 4-6 weeks and ESPECIALLY not up and down Munro… spoil sport.

Those that have been following will also know that this means my marathon plan on the 2nd of August has also come to an abrupt end. It is amazing that you get really fit and train for WEEKS and then one incident puts you out for weeks and ruins months of plans. I’m not upset – it is just a race and a gubbed ankle. PERSPECTIVE, people. I’m healthy (ish) and happy. It’s all good! PMA.

On the plus side, I ate a full bag of Cadbury chocolate buttons and had a rather large amount of red wine last night completely GUILT FREE. See, it is all about perspective, people. :o)

Due to said injury AND because I had actually mentioned it on the forums (those visiting from MSE land) I was looking to get a new bike. No better time to get one when you can no longer run and have scuppered all marathon chances…

I’ve bought crap bikes before and I’ve bought super expensive bikes also (crazy debt days). Both are a waste of time for the kind of usage I will be doing. I was like Goldie Locks and her porridge...not too expensive...but not too cheap. It had to be just on Budget…

After much searching Mr Mars and I happened across this bike, which of course, due to halving in price, sold out pretty quickly. Down to £200 and then with a 10% sale I got it for £180. I literally think I got the last one in Glasgow. As we checked all stores and eventually managed to track it down in Paisley, where I think it was the last one.
 

I LOVE it. I would have taken any design, the budget was the concern, so I feel I have lucked out that it also looks pretty good. Where we are moving to, apparently public transport is not great, so cars and bikes are the main forms of transport (I will never moan about UK public transport again). Hopefully this will also get LOTS of use when we move next month (4 weeks today!!!) and not just to cross train on.
 
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I gubbed my tailbone two weeks ago. I'm also trying hard to keep it in perspective, but it's making me grumpy!

    Sorry to hear that your marathon plans are on hold. Glad you omanaged to get barganous shiny new bike though.

    Enjoy the games.

    ReplyDelete