Thursday 10 July 2014

DIY: Re-juvenated coasters

This weeked I used some of Mr Mars leftover paint from his Ray-Bans re-vamp, see HERE, and re-vamped some nasty coasters I had from my “Girl Power” days.
 
They were bright pink and had the words Cleavage and Knickers and G&T etc all over them. I am still all for “Girl Power” I just no longer feel that I need the colour pink and the words Cleavage and Knickers to do so.

After about 4 coats of primer you can still see the gastly words...


Take some leftover black matt paint (left one):
 
 
I'm not accustomed to the using spray paint, so error number 1: Don't go too close:

 
You end up with gloops and blotches like any other paint job, ohh dear.
 
 
I originally just wanted to paint them matt black, because I'm boring like that. But my black paint mess ups meant I felt I needed something to hide the damage. As these were not looking good, so far...
 
Step forward some old glitter spray (see picture above, can on the right) that I THOUGHT was silver and glitter, but after a patch test turned out to be clear spray with some glitter. Perfect.
 
Some uneven glitter spraying...


Closer:
 
 
I actually like that they look uneven, I'm not a matchy matchy kind of person. I think I realised a long time ago that I would unlikely get things perfect, ever, therefore have embraced the imperfections!
 
Once dried I put the bottom back on to them with some super glue:



Turns out the superglue was not great for this. I've put some mod podge on one of them and that seems to have worked the best! Live and learn...

 
And there you have it! Some leftover paint and some old coasters and I have some AWESOME coasters, I think.
 


Admit it. Addddddddddddmit it. These look not bad, eh?
 
I have got to say these turned out MUCH better than I ever expected! And all made with things we already had – expect the black paint that Mr Mars bought at £4.99 for his Ray-Bans!
 
The clear glitter spray hides a multitude of sins, something I will likely invest in again. I will have a house of glitter!
 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment