Sunday 12 July 2015

When minimalism meets a hoarder

I've been reassessing things recently.

Keeping up with everything often seems like a struggle. I get stresses/anxious about this. Some people don't, but I do. I feel like I am the only one but the world of YouTube has confirmed I am not.

I will admit that I'm a mild hoarder. My debt did not help this, I then became obsessed with not spending money, therefore, would never throw anything out and anything that was free/cheap would get adopted aka hoarded.

My focus for so long was just clearing the debt. Even when I was up to my eyeballs in debt it never occurred to me that having so much "stuff" could be causing emotions such as stress and anxiety. I've looked into tumble dryers, cleaners, dish washers and whilst these things have helped me cope, when you have so much stuff it will always be a vicious cycle of getting by.

This week I had my *Oh sh*t* moment when I stumbled across an article about Matilda Kahl who wears a uniform to work (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3034250/I-wanted-simplify-morning-struggle-Meet-woman-worn-exact-outfit-work-day-THREE-years.html). That lead me to finding Project333 and then onto minimalism. Then onto a girl called Melissa Alexandria on YouTube. I love her. She is just so nice! I know there are many more Icons such as Kondo etc on this subject but these are my people.

I then spent about 3 days reading blogs and watching YouTube videos. Some focused on only having 200 items in your house. Some no limits, just less. Some on cleansing your life to the bare minimal. I just wanted to remove the anxiety my stuff seems to be giving me, live more freely and spend my time, effort and emotions where it matters and not on stuff.

I was out late the 3 nights from reading the article. I literally could not wait to get home on Friday night to start de-cluttering.

I'm currently working through clothes (the largest amount of clutter in our house) and I've previously mentioned that some of my friends colleagues that I stalk/admire are the ones who have (or seem to have) a smaller wardrobe and wear the same clothes and accessorise them to make them look different. They switch them up with accessories or they just wear the outfit I have one friend who i kind-of-want-to-be and she wears the same dresses, shorts, tops etc. I went back facebook pictures that she has been tagged in (I kind of became obsessed this week) and she's been wearing the same clothes for the like the last 5 years.  She's had the same Marc Jacob sunglasses for about 5 years. The same striped vest worn on its own or under a white t-shirt. She is so well kept and a keen athlete and works and she is just all over things. Why do I need 8 pairs of sunglasses? 20 dresses. Even then I only wear about 5 of them. I can't find anything. Ever. I might find the dress, but where is that belt that goes with it? Or that cool bag? Or earrings? 

Anyway, I've did my first clear out in about 10 years, HUGE. I found dresses that I forgot I even had. I emptied 6 Cath Kidston sweater storage bags that were rammed full. I cleared drawers.

I had so much brand new clothes (with labels) it was heartbreaking. I have a problem. I had brand new french connection dresses once i remember costing me £110. Tag. Still. On.

I was adamant I was selling it. Think of how much money I can get back for all this stuff? But what I couldn't shake was the thought of how much money I could get a charity, or someone using it that actually needs/wants it. So I donated it all. Tags and All. 17 brand new nail varnishes unopened. New lip glosses, unopened. Brand new clutch bag. Brand new, never been worn, nine west wedding shoes. Worn once Kurt Geiger wedges, All Saints dress, French Connection dress, Autograph dress, Ted Baker toiletry bag, Dune bag, Carvella shoes, Leather Jacket, Leather skirt. You get the jist. A lot of brand spanking new clothes or items that had been worn once. I think I'm more annoyed at the items that are worn once, as the charity will likely get less money for them.

The charity shop thanked me greatly. They were so kind. They also told me I was not allowed to shop for the next year. Noted love, noted. She also told me she will take my opened, barely used makeup as she has a little charity group she goes to that uses that stuff. So that is my project for this week.

I've came home and I'm not finished. The throw on my bed, gone. The throw on my couch, gone. I don't like them - why do I have them?!

I feel awesome about the thought I may help my charity and I feel lighter, but I don't feel better about my anxiety/stress? Does that make sense? I think my house is still lightly in disarray which may be why I've not got better feelings about my purge.

I'll start putting up pictures of some of my purge! Just wanted to get the words down today!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment