Saturday 20 June 2015

DIY: Re-vamped penny jar

I thought I had posted this. I had not.
My "DIY" has subsided as we have settled into our new life (along with the blogging ;). We also purged most of our junk/old stuff/used items therefore not much to up-cycle/revamp. To be clear I like to up cycle as much as I can as it's better for the environment AND no-one else is likely to have it AND it usually saves a bit of cash :)
On the note of Purged, I watched the film The Purge last night. Scary.

Back to DIY. I am a fan of saving pennies/coppers/change. I did my wedding scramble from saving the change and have made payments to debt with change! We smashed a couple of our jars that were wedding/engagement gifts before we left the UK (photo below) but this one opens (no need for smashing). Unfortunately it is clearly styled for a 5 year old boy – I think it belongs to Mr Mars from his youth (oops!).  So I decided to take what I had and try and revamp it to blend into the Lodge House living room black/grey/white styling.

Jars in the first 'Life at the Lodge House". RIP Lodge House.
 



Equipment (including cup of tea):




I purchased some fine glitter (£5 GBP) and I already had modge podge, so off I went. Layer of glue, layer of glitter, layer of glue, layer of glitter. GOD it took forever to cover those bl**dy blue stripes!!!


First layer of glue...

 

First layer of glitter...

 




Another layer of glue and glitter...

 

FINALLY!!! After 100 layers of glue and glitter (an exaggeration, more like 3 or 4)...

I dried it using my pepper shaker baby cactus (cool mug from SPCA charity shop).

But I did it. With black glitter EVERYWHERE. Mr Mars was NOT happy. When I empty my purse of the coppers (and steal from Mr Mars’ pockets!) they will be stored here! Then banked at a later date. Small but effective way to gather some savings!

That's all folks

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment